MN–S Louis Riel Day Poetry Contest, Write for Riel! Winners announced
January 17, 2022 – Thank you to all the participants in our first Métis Nation–Saskatchewan (MN–S) Riel Poetry Contest.
Your enthusiastic response showed a great capacity of knowledge and willingness to learn about our esteemed leader and poet, Louis Riel.
Congratulations to everyone for their excellent work. Our team had a difficult time selecting the winners in each category. They are as follows:
Grades 4 – 6 (ages 9 to 12 years)
- Carol Brassard’s grade 4 classroom – Lindale School, Moose Jaw
- Myra Lemaigre’s grade 6 classroom – Ducharme Elementary School, La Loche
Grades 7 – 8 (ages 13 – 14 years)
- Tresley Tourond – Bouvier’s classroom – Coronation Park Community School, Regina
Grade 9 – 12 (14 years – 17 years)
- Harley Phillips – Turtleford
- Cole Blondeau – Estevan
18 years – 49 years
- Angela Blondeau – Regina
- Delbert Pawlivsky – Cut Knife
- Debbie Sykora – Moose Jaw
50 + years
- Felix Merasty – Stanley Mission
- Terri Skafel – Saskatoon
- Roger Jerome – Air Ronge
The contest winners all receive amazing Riel Prize Packages! Maarsii!
Write for Riel! The MN–S Louis Riel Day Poetry Contest
November 8, 2021 – Louis Riel may be best known for his political leadership and fight for Métis rights, but did you know he was a poet?
You also might not know Louis Riel’s father was born in Île-à-la-Crosse, Saskatchewan. Louis David Riel was the oldest of 11 children, he married Marguerite (Monet) Monet dite Belhumeur in 1881, and they had three children. He was a great leader and the Canadian Government sentenced him to death for defending Métis Rights.
November 16 is Louis Riel Day in Saskatchewan. This year, Métis Nation–Saskatchewan (MN–S) is celebrating with a creative contest. Learn about our Métis Nation hero and share your knowledge by submitting an original poem. You could win a Riel prize package!
The MN–S Louis Riel Day poetry contest is open to everyone 6 years old and up:
- 6 years to 8 years/Grades 1 – 3
- 9 years to 12 years/Grades 4 – 6
- 13 years to 14 years/Grades 7 – 8
- 14 years to 18 years/Grades 9 – 12
There are three categories: contemporary, Michif, and other. Entries can be submitted in written or video format.
Both individuals and school classrooms are encouraged to participate. Submit your individual original work to [email protected], with the appropriate contact information, before 11:59 pm on December 10, 2021.
Submission requirements include:
- Your name (individual, classroom, grade/school), age or category.
- Email address or phone number.
- Original poetry focused on Louis Riel.
An independent panel of judges will determine the top three selections in each category.
Winners will be announced in January, 2022.
The chosen submissions will also be featured on the Métis Gathering website https://metisgathering.ca/ and at Back to Batoche 2022.
Tell your friends with #WriteForRiel!
A huge Maarsii/Thank you to the National Batoche Historic Site/Parks Canada for their ongoing partnership with MN–S.