Métis Patient Support Workers
August 10, 2023 – Métis Patient Support Workers work collaboratively with the Métis Nation–Saskatchewan (MN–S) Ministry of Health to operate a Métis-specific Patient Support Program. Through the program, they help Métis patients and families by:
- providing information and assistance with MN–S programs and services;
- providing information regarding provincial or community-based health programming and traditional, culturally safe resources;
- working with Saskatchewan Health Authority First Nations and Métis Health Services (FNMHS) patient coordinators to support discharge planning by booking transportation or accommodation through the MN–S Medical Travel Assistance Program;
- listening to Métis patients and their families to ensure their needs are met and bringing their concerns to patient advocates;
- providing translation services;
- connecting patients to Métis Elders; and
- ensuring patient care is culturally safe and respectful.
You can access Métis Patient Support Workers via referral from the FNMHS or MN–S Medical Travel Assistance Program, or by contacting Métis Patient Support Workers directly.
Candice Evans-Waite – 306-491-8236
Terri Hansen-Gardiner – 306-491-8279
Mary Wiegers – 306-491-8237
Teri Thrun- 306-371-5380