Medical Travel Assistance Program
Please review these details carefully as our eligibility requirements and process have recently changed.
Medical Travel Assistance Program Policy & Benefit Guidelines is available here.
For more information, contact the MN–S Health Department at (306) 292-7480 or email [email protected].
What The Program Covers
The Medical Travel Assistance Pilot Program supports the cost of meals, accommodation and transportation to help you travel to your medical appointments outside of your residence community. Program coverage is intended as a supplement and may not cover the full cost of your travel.
You can access medical transportation support for:
- Travel to medical services covered by a public health facility that is not provided in your home community. This includes primary care (e.g., eye care, dental, family doctor) or specialist and referral appointments.
- Travel to access traditional healers.
- Primary care appointments (e.g., eye care, dental, family doctor):
- Up to one night of hotel stay will be supported per appointment.
- Up to three primary care appointments per year.
- Specialist and referral appointments:
- Up to three nights of hotel stay will be supported per appointment.
- Travel to appointments for which you have submitted a Confirmation of Appointment Form prior to your appointment, and Confirmation of Attendance from your physician, following your appointment.
Citizens will be reimbursed fuel costs based on distance travelled and the make/model/year of their vehicle. You do not need to provide receipts for fuel reimbursement.
- Day trip rate for same-day trips lasting more than 6 hours $25.00
- Overnight rate for overnight trips up to 6 nights $50.00
- Weekly rate for overnight trips of one week (7 nights) up to one month $250.00
- Monthly rate for extended trips that last a month or more $500.00
You can request to have MN–S Health staff book your hotel room for you. For citizens seeking reimbursement of hotel fees paid for medical stays, the program will reimburse a flat rate of $100 per night. You will be required to fill out a hotel disclaimer and liability form.
If you need someone to accompany you on your trip to your appointment, you may be eligible to travel with an escort. Escorts are covered under certain conditions, including if you:
- Are a minor
- Need help with activities of daily living (e.g., dressing, eating or bathing)
- Are undergoing a medical procedure (e.g., day surgery) or have a medical condition that means to need help to get home
- Will face a language barrier
- Are travelling to give birth
You may be asked to provide documentation from your health care provider to show you need an escort. Download the “Medical Transportation Physician Escort Form” found under the “Citizen Forms” header.
What This Program Does Not Cover
- Applications requesting accommodations submitted less than five (5) business days prior to the appointment date
- Travel when the medically necessary service is available in your community
- Cost of prescription drugs
- Cost of medical supplies or equipment
- Payment of fees for a doctor’s notes
- Funeral costs
- Compassionate travel (e.g., travelling to visit a family member who is receiving medical treatment)
- Travel where the only purpose is to pick up items that do not need to be fitted (e.g., prescriptions, prescription glasses or contacts, some medical supplies and equipment)
- Travel back to your community of residence if you became sick or injured while away from home
- Travel to access medical appointments located outside of Canada
- Travel to access services that are not considered medically necessary
- Accommodations out of province.
Fill out the form below to apply for reimbursement.
Have you used this program before?
Proceed to Returning Citizens
Please read program information and submit an application to the appropriate program using the links below.
Apply for Cancer/Dialysis Travel Assistance
Apply for Medical Travel Assistance
Submit Confirmation of Attendance from Physician